Cargo theft is one of the most pressing issues that every truck driver faces. There are many steps that every truck driver can take to secure their cargo, but the best possible tool is a skilled and knowledgeable truck driver. How can you prevent cargo thieves from targeting your truck?
Cargo Theft 101
A large portion of theft prevention is simply determining ways to make your cargo and truck a harder target. Cargo thieves want the easiest haul possible, so places like unsecured lots are enticing. Cargo thieves also often target idling tractor-trailers sitting at rest stops or truck stops. While you’re inside grabbing a quick cup of coffee, they’re driving off with your livelihood. The two most common methods of cargo theft are when the entire trailer is taken or the trailer is broken into and all of the contents are stolen.
The most alluring things to cargo thieves are commodities that could be easily sold on the black market in a short period of time. Some of the most frequently stolen cargo items include food, drinks, clothing, electronics, housewares, metals, pharmaceuticals, cigarettes, and alcohol.
Quick Cargo Theft Tips
When you are on the road and looking to prevent cargo theft, you should always follow these easy tips:
- Always stay alert when leaving or arriving at a rest stop.
- Never discuss your cargo with anyone over the radio, online, or in person.
- If you think your truck is being followed, call 911 and your dispatcher to alert them, especially if you are being followed by a car with more than 3 people in it.
- Always park in secure lots or truck stops with surveillance.
- Never leave your truck idling, even if you are only going inside for a moment.
- Lock your cargo doors with sturdy padlocks.
- Avoid stopping in known hot spots or high crime areas.
Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star for All of Your Trucking Needs
Whether you are looking to upgrade your fleet to tow trucks or simply interested in the latest trucking technology, you can rely on Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star, a new truck dealer. We have provided top-notch service for the trucking industry for 30 years and would love to assist you in buying a new top-of-the-line truck, finding the specialty parts you need, or repairing your truck. Give us a call toll-free at 800-832-7278 or locally at 410-685-4474, or contact us online. To find out more about what we are up to, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.