When you’re on the road trying to meet a deadline, the last thing you want to deal with is the safety threat of a truck fire. These can be disastrous to your business and personal safety. Semi-trucks valued at $100,000 or more can suddenly be totally destroyed. Your life and your cargo can also be threatened. Read on to learn more about how what causes a truck fire, how to prevent them, and what to do in case one occurs.
The Most Common Causes Of A Truck Fire
- Electrical malfunctions due to overloaded circuits
- Incorrectly installed or defective heaters
- Smoking cigarettes while driving
- Loss of axle lubricant
How To Prevent A Truck Fire
Have regular thorough checks by certified and experienced mechanics to ensure your vehicle is in tip top shape and not at high risk for a truck fire or other sorts of malfunctions. Keep up with repairs. Here are some things you can personally do to lessen the risk of a truck fire.
- Watch out for oil or grease which can accumulate on key operational parts of your truck
- Look out for blown wheel seals
- Always make sure your tires are well inflated
- Have any electrical problems professionally sorted out immediately
What To Do In The Case Of A Truck Fire
Regardless of how prepared and careful you are, sometimes emergency situations arise. In the case of a fire, take all of these steps to insure your safety and that of other drivers on the road.
- If you smell smoke or see fire, it is important to stop your truck immediately
- Get out your fire extinguisher and remember to PASS: Pull the pin, aim at the fire’s base, squeeze the trigger, and finally spray the base of the fire
- Uncouple your tractor from your trailer before the fire can spread and get it far away from it
- Use your fire extinguisher as needed and call the local fire department
Get In Touch With Baltimore Freightliner Western Star Today
If you’re in the trucking business or are looking to discover more about commercial truck sales, call on Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star. You can call toll-free at 800-832-7278 or locally at 410-685-4474 or email us your questions and concerns at email@example.com. Does your truck need repair, maintenance, or service? Contact our service manager, Jessica Levine, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since 1986, Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star has provided top quality service for the trucking industry. Whether you need to purchase specialized truck parts from our expansive inventory, grow your fleet with our selection of top-tier trucks, or have your company’s trucks serviced or repaired, Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star is the best choice in trucking.
Become one of our many satisfied customers today!