Keeping a cool head on the road is not an easy task, even for seasoned truckers. If you suffer from driving rage and have a hard time preventing your anger from rising to high levels, you should learn effective anger management techniques. Instead of getting mad on 695, here are some simple ways to manage your road rage.
Why is Road Rage Dangerous?
- Getting angry takes your focus away from driving, even if you are still technically paying attention to the road.
- Being emotional while driving can zap your energy. Having an even, positive mood is a good way to handle long days and nights on the road. However, if you’re spending all day punching the steering wheel and worried about the annoying car next to you, you will be much more tired at the end of the day.
- Stress is unhealthy. Stress is especially unhealthy if you work a physically-demanding job, like trucking. Sitting down all day can lead to poor circulation, and the diet that truckers consume is often not the healthiest. Combined with excess stress, your road rage could be putting you in danger.
Managing Your Anger on the Road
To manage your anger on the road:
- Do your best to remain unaffected by problems that are occurring around you. There will always be traffic jams, periods of bad weather, and delays. It’s up to you whether or not you become upset by them.
- Keep in mind that the vast majority of delays are not costing you anything. As a trucker, you are paid by the number of miles you drive, not the number of minutes you spend on the road. You aren’t losing any part of your paycheck while you’re stuck behind an accident or a bad driver, you are just losing time. If you accept that things will happen on the road and that they don’t affect your bottom line at the end of the day, you should be able to keep cool!
- Change your playlist to something that you really love to listen to. Great music will change your mood in a second.
Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star For All Your Trucking Needs
Whether you need new parts for you truck or are simply interested in the latest trucking technology, you can rely on Baltimore Freightliner-Western Star. We have provided top-notch service for the trucking industry for 30 years and would love to assist you in buying a new top-of-the-line truck, finding the specialty parts you need, or repairing your truck. Give us a call toll-free at 800-832-7278 or locally at 410-685-4474, or contact us online. To find out more about what we are up to, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.